As a medicinal herb, the main application of comfrey is in treating fractures and inflammations. It is used to improve the healing of bruises, sprains, muscle pains, and joint pains.
Comfrey contains allantoin, an active compound that stimulates cell growth and repair. Allantoin is used in many over-the-counter medications for skin issues. It helps regrow the skin to promote faster healing of wounds. Allantoin is also useful in treating inflamed skin. It can reduce irritation caused by sunburn when applied topically.
Known for treating chronic pain, comfrey is widely used as a salve for back pains and fibromyalgia.
Comfrey is also called knitbone because of its ability to facilitate the healing of broken bones
Here’s what part the Wintergreen plays in this fantastic combination…
Wintergreen helps fights rheumatism and arthritis in two ways:
1) When applied externally, it easily penetrates through the skin around the muscles and tissues and stimulates the circulation of blood in that location. This activity, apart from bringing warmth to the affected area, helps to clear obstructions in the flow of blood, which is one of the major causes of rheumatism and arthritis, and it does not let toxins like uric acid accumulate at that spot.
2) Although it is absorbed through the skin, it eventually reaches the bloodstream, where it stimulates and increases urination, acting as a diuretic. This speeds up the removal of toxins like uric acid from the body through urination. The removal of excess water, fats, and salts through urine helps to lose weight, which also reduces the effects of rheumatic conditions.
How it works
The combination of comfrey & wintergreen creates a great balm in helping support bone health and joint pain.
The allantoin in comfrey can help promote healing by encouraging cell proliferation.
Comfreys abilities help promote
• Soothing of bruises
• Sprains & strains
• Broken bones
• Encourages ligaments and bones to knit
• Soothes stiff & aching joints
• Helps to relieve pain associated with osteoarthritis
• Helps to relieve Joint pain
▪︎ Helps to relieve pain associated with Gout
Apply twice daily continuously to help ease & support bone health.
What I’ve personally used for
This is one of my favourite products it has helped fix so many problems.
I broke my big toe 6 years ago and it’s always had a niggling pain. I used comfrey & wintergreen balm and I’ve not suffered since.
My son broke his thumb playing hockey, the Dr said 4 to 6 weeks to heal. We applied the balm 3-4 times a day and he was back playing hockey 2 weeks later!
I’m a children’s entertainer and balloon artist so I’m constantly twisting sculptures and putting a strain on my wrist. I kept getting shooting pains in my wrist and a constant ache. I used the balm twice daily and after the first week the pains had gone, I continued to use for another 2 weeks though as I wanted to make sure the pain didn’t come back.
I suffered with a shoulder injury years ago and it often flares up, I have 2 large dogs, so walking them doesn’t help my situation. The comfrey & wintergreen balm is my saviour I honestly can’t recommend it enough.
How to use
It is important to use consistently to receive the benefits, I would recommend a minimum of twice daily to start with then once you notice it working, once a day is good.